Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Vehicles I've Driven (Not a complete list)

1971 VW Van- Baby blue and white, converted to a camper with the back seat taken out and a bed built-in. My husband and I spent our honeymoon, six months, driving around the Southwest sleeping in this van, cooking on a Coleman stove and showering when we could, with our ferret, Nikita. This thing, manual transmission, was a beast to drive. I think the engine was something like 56 horsepower when it was brand new. We had a complete blast though, and I miss it terribly. It was also nice that you sat high enough to have a really good view, and you could get really, really close to the car in front of you and freak the driver out.

1982 Toyota Corolla- brown and ugly. Nicknamed "the Betsey" for the Harold Robbins book as well as the previous owner. My step-father actually used my money to buy this car. He was supposed to teach me to drive it, but that never really happened. After he lost the key, he cut out the ignition and jury-rigged it to start with a nail. I ended up really pissed that he used my money without my permission and then trashed the car, but that's the kind of person he was.

2007 Mini Cooper- cute and silver. I thought I wanted one of these, so adorable!, until I drove one. It felt little and jittery, and I didn't like the placement of the typical controls or the push-button ignition. Maybe I could get used to one, but I didn't like the way it handled.

2007 Honda Element- Aside from a clever marketing campaign, I didn't like much about it. Handles like a truck with blind spots the size of Canada. Wouldn't own one.

1998 Saturn 4-door- Silver, my first (and so far, only) new car. The salesman irritated us by fiddling with the advertised lease price, but I adored the car itself. Easy to handle with enough power, I didn't feel overwhelmed and I felt safe. Totalled in a collision in 2002, in most other cars, NSA would have been hurt much worse than he was.

No comments: