Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas!

First of all, to those loyal few who still read my nearly non-existant blog, Thank You! And merry, merry Christmas, if that's your persuasion. As an agnostic/paganistic/non-churchgoing person, I like holidays, just not because of some belief in a savior that was probably born in the spring anyway. Having said that, a few of my favorite Yuletide carols:

  • Santa Baby- performed by Eartha Kitt. Sexy, sultry and a little bit greedy, what's not to love?-
  • Santa Claus is Coming to Town- performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Fun, funny and lighthearted.
  • Oh Holy Night- performed by Johnny Mathis. A classic and such a beautiful, pure voice. Mom loved Johnny.
  • You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch- performed by Thurl Ravenscroft. I love the original animated Grinch, and Thurl Ravenscroft (also the voice of Tony the Tiger) delivers it perfectly.
  • The Little Drummer Boy- performed by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Such a wonderfully surreal moment, like a Christmas tree decorated by Andy Warhol.
  • All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth- performed by the Count from Sesame Street. I listened to this when I was little and it still puts a smile on my face.
  • Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24- Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I think this is a version of Carol of the Bells, and it is just so damn cool.
  • Father Christmas- by the Kinks. Tough and funny, I love the street-wise sentiments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas

Lisa said...

My favorite is Sleigh Bells by Johnny Mathis. It's very cheery.

Alex said...

A belated Happy Holidays to you too!
I'm a long time fan, and hope to hear more from you
this year...I'd love to hear about Alaska and what happened next! Happy New Year!