Saturday, March 7, 2009

Random Bits III

Yesterday, there was a woman in front of me in the checkout lane at the grocery store with flaming red/orange hair and a purple corduroy pantsuit. Maybe if the suit had been a little lighter, or her hair a little darker, it could have worked, but as it was, I felt like my eyeballs had been scalded.

I've been feeling very judge-y lately (see above), and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's my insecurities about leaving the job, or maybe it's just my latent bitchiness finally rearing it's ugly head. Or maybe it's the fact that people like Nadya Suleman get under my skin and make me all red and itchy. I think that must be it: I have an allergy to media whores. Definitely explains my reaction to Paris Hilton.

I recently discovered Darrell Lea's Green Apple Licorice on sale at the local drugstore. It's not licorice in the true sense of the word, more like a better version of Twizzlers, but damn! it's yummy. And all-natural too.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that grocery stores are tracking how we spend our dollars so precisely? I mean, I know that's the deal when you sign up for those discount cards, and I don't see how the information that I (well, my cats) prefer Friskies to 9 Lives or that I buy insane amount of rotisserie chicken, can be misused, but I still find it a little creepy. I do love the coupons specifically tailored to I want though.

5 comments:

Sass said...

My store has this nasty habit of printing coupons for the competitor of whatever I just purchased.

Like, if I bought Pantene, I get a great coupon for Herbal Essences.

It makes me CRAZY.

anya said...

I'm glad to see someone else lives on that chicken. I swear to god I eat it in some form at least 8 times a week! (lunches, snacks, dinner)

I read an article not long ago about that store tracking and it made me want to withdraw from them all, but the savings they offer in exchange for our most intimate information is hard to pass up!

Eric said...

Cash! And support your local stores - It might be 10% more expensive, but ooooh, the variety!

Lisa said...

DH had one of those on his key chain and lost his keys. He felt secure with the knowledge that someone just had to drop them in the mail and the grocery store would forward them through their service. Of course I had to point out that the paranoid idiot signed up with a fake name and address...

Poker Game Variations said...

My God! Well and well!